During open enrollment, choose San Diego's best health care. Get started.
About Bard Cosman, MD, FACS, FASCRS
Bard Cosman, MD, FACS, FASCRS, is a board-certified colon and rectal surgeon who specializes in anorectal surgery. He is an expert in treating chronic inflammatory lesions such as anal fistula, pilonidal sinus, and hidradenitis suppurativa. He also has a special interest in anal dysplasia and cancer, including HIV-related cases.
As a professor in the Department of Surgery at UC San Diego School of Medicine, he teaches students and residents and trains fellows in surgical procedures. He has authored or coauthored more than 50 articles that have been published in a variety of journals, including Diseases of the Colon & Rectum.
Dr. Cosman completed his fellowship in colorectal surgery and his general surgery residency training at Stanford School of Medicine. He completed a residency in colon and rectal surgery at University of Minnesota Medical School.
He earned his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and a master's degree in public health from Columbia University School of Public Health. Dr. Cosman is board certified in general surgery and colon and rectal surgery.
He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons and (FASCRS).
Dr. Cosman spends his free time with his wife and four sons. He loves bicycling, running, and reading with his children.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Colon and Rectal Surgery.
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, MN
- Stanford University, School of Medicine, Stanford, CA
- Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, NY
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Conditions and Treatments
- Pilonidal Sinus
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa (Acne Inversa)
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fistula
- Anal Dysplasia
- HIV and Colorectal Surgery
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.