For more information on our recent data notice, please click here
- Blood & Marrow Transplant - BMT
- CancerLeukemia & Lymphoma
- Hematology - Blood DiseasesLeukemia & Lymphoma
New Patient Registration:
Existing Patients:MyUCSDChart Login
About Edward Ball, MD
Edward "Ted" Ball, MD, is a board-certified hematologist and medical oncologist who treats individuals with blood-related cancers such as leukemia and lymphoma. In his role as director and chief of the UC San Diego Health / Sharp HealthCare Blood and Marrow Transplantation (BMT) Program, he leads an interdisciplinary team of physicians, advanced practitioners, nurses, social workers and support staff.
Dr. Ball offers chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy to adults with relapsed or refractory B-cell lymphoma, a type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. CAR T-cell therapy harnesses the patient's own immune cells to recognize and kill cancer cells. It is just one of many types of personalized cancer therapies offered at UC San Diego Health.
A professor in the Department of Medicine, he is a highly respected cancer researcher who studies all aspects of stem cell transplantation and has patented four of his cancer treatment innovations. Dr. Ball has published over 250 journal articles and book chapters based on his basic and clinical research.
Dr. Ball has been listed as one of "America's Top Doctors" for the last 10 years and is a past recipient of the Stohlman Award from the Leukemia Society of America. He is also a past steering committee member of the prestigious BMT Clinical Trials Network.
Prior to joining UC San Diego Health, Dr. Ball was director of the blood and marrow transplant program at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute for seven years. Dr. Ball completed fellowships in hematology and oncology at The Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and University Hospitals Case Medical Center in Cleveland. He completed residency training at Hartford Hospital in Connecticut and earned his medical degree from Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine in Cleveland. He is board certified in hematology, medical oncology and internal medicine.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Blood Disorder Care, Blood Cancers and Moores Cancer Center.
- Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
- Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine, Hanover, NH
- University Hospital, Cleveland, OH
- Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
Conditions and Treatments
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- Cancer Immunotherapy
- Bone Marrow Transplantation
- Translational Hematology/Oncology
- Blood Cancer
- Multiple Myeloma
- Chimeric Antigen Receptor (CAR) T-Cell Therapy
- Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplant
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplant
- Blood and Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation
- Blood Disorders
- Stem Cells
- Stem Cell Transplantation for Hematologic and Non-Hematologic Indications
- Acute Leukemia
- Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Hodgkin's Disease
- Hematologic Malignancies
- Nautral Killer (NK) Cell-Mediated Therapy
Meet Dr. Edward Ball, UC San Diego CIRM Alpha Stem Cell ClinicMore videos
Cancer Care as Unique as YouChoose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.