Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates for UC San Diego Health patients and visitors. Learn More.
New Patient Registration:
About Christopher J. Kane, MD
Christopher J. Kane, MD, is a board-certified urologist who specializes in diagnosing and treating patients with prostate, kidney, bladder and testicular cancer. He has extensive expertise in robotic prostatectomy, open and laparoscopic kidney cancer surgery, and bladder and testes cancer surgery. He also provides care for conditions including benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate; elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels; and the presence of blood in urine (hematuria).
Dr. Kane serves as dean of clinical affairs for UC San Diego School of Medicine and chief executive officer for UC San Diego Health Physician Group. In these dual roles, Dr. Kane collaborates with UC San Diego leadership to ensure that UC San Diego Health Physician Group achieves the highest standards of service, access, quality, safety, and patient satisfaction and is integrated to support the unique and growing needs of an expanding academic health system and its growing regional network of providers.
Dr. Kane has authored more than 320 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters with a focus on prostate cancer risk factors and outcomes, prostate cancer surgery and minimally invasive surgery for prostate and kidney cancer. He serves on the editorial boards of several major urology journals as well as the National Comprehensive Cancer Network Prostate Cancer Management Guidelines Committee. He co-chaired the National Cancer Institute's Renal Cell Carcinoma Advisory Task Force from 2012-2016.
Prior to joining UC San Diego Health, Dr. Kane held leadership positions at UC San Francisco and the Naval Medical Center San Diego. He was awarded the Distinguished Engineering Alumni Medal by UC Davis in 2011. In 2014, he was elected to membership in the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons. He is a retired Navy Captain and a decorated veteran of Desert Storm.
Dr. Kane completed his residency at the Naval Medical Center in Oakland, Calif. He received his medical degree from Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Maryland. Dr. Kane is board certified in urology.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD
- Naval Regional Medical Center, Oakland, CA
- Naval Medical Center, Oakland, CA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Urology
Conditions and Treatments
- Prostate Cancer
- Robotic Prostatectomy
- Minimally Invasive Techniques
- Urologic Cancer
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
- Renal Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
- Testicular Cancer
- Prostate Cancer Surgery
- Kidney Cancer
- Dr. Christopher Kane describes the importance of receiving your cancer care at a National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. These centers ensure that your treatment plan meets national guidelines. At UC San Diego Health, our multidisciplinary care teams set the standard for cancer care in the San Diego region. Dr. Kane is a renowned urologist and senior deputy director of Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego Health.