About William Mitchell, MD
William Mitchell, MD, is a medical oncologist who specializes in caring for patients with all kinds of thoracic cancer, including lung cancer, mesothelioma and thymomas.
As director of Palliative Care, Dr. Mitchell also oversees the care provided by a multidisciplinary team which aims to improve the quality of life for those with serious or life-threatening diseases.
Dr. Mitchell is passionate about educating future generations of doctors and integrating palliative care into all levels of patient care.
As an advocate for palliative care, he believes in treating the patient as a whole rather than just treating the disease - which can mean preventing or treating side effects or symptoms, or providing support for psychosocial or spiritual issues.
- University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- UC San Diego, School of Medicine, San Diego, CA
- San Diego Hospice and The Institute for Palliative Medicine, San Diego, CA
- University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
Date Joined Staff
Conditions and Treatments
- Thoracic Oncology
- Lung Cancer
- Palliative Care
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.