Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates for UC San Diego Health patients and visitors. Learn More.
New Patient Registration:
About Michael M Madani, MD, FACS
Michael Madani, MD, is a board-certified cardiovascular surgeon who oversees a variety of surgical services at UC San Diego Health, including surgical treatment for heart failure, lung transplantation and pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE). He is the surgical director of the Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy (PTE) Program, and is also an expert in minimally invasive heart surgery, mitral valve repair and off-pump bypass surgery.
One of the most experienced pulmonary thromboendarterectomy surgeons in the field, Dr. Madani has helped establish PTE programs around the world. He was also named UC San Diego Physician of the Year and has repeatedly been named a top doctor in San Diego Magazine's "Physicians of Exceptional Excellence" annual survey performed in collaboration with the San Diego County Medical Society.
Dr. Madani also serves as a professor in the Department of Surgery and chief of the Division of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery at the UC San Diego School of Medicine. He is actively involved in clinical research, which is widely published, and is the primary author of chapters in many distinguished cardiothoracic textbooks.
He completed his fellowship training in cardiothoracic surgery at UC San Diego School of Medicine and earned his medical degree at the University of Toronto. He is board certified in thoracic surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS). He speaks both English and Persian.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Cardiovascular Services.
- University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- UC San Diego, School of Medicine, San Diego, CA
- Berkshire Medical Center, University of Massachusetts, Pittsfield, MA
- American Board of Thoracic Surgery
Conditions and Treatments
- Mechanical Assist Device
- Pulmonary Endarterectomy
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Off-Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Robotic Cardiac Surgery
- Heart Transplantation
- Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
- Heart Failure
- Heart Muscle Disease
- Heart Valve Disease
- Heart Valve Repair
- Heart Valve Replacement
- Heart Valve Surgery
- Myocardial Infarction
- Lung Transplantation
- Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy (PTE)
- Jillian Queri receives pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE) treatment by Dr. Madani at UC San Diego Health and reunites with a childhood friend while in recovery.