About Juan Javier-DesLoges, MD, MS
Juan Javier-DesLoges, MD, is a urologic oncologist who focuses on the management of prostate, bladder, kidney, and ureteral cancer. He specializes in robot-assisted minimally invasive surgery as well as transperineal procedures including SpaceOAR Hydrogel (a rectal spacer), prostate biopsy, and cryoablation.
He has expertise in all of urologic oncology, including robot-assisted radical cystectomy and urinary diversion, radical and partial nephrectomy, and radical prostatectomy. He also has a personal interest in alternatives to radical prostatectomy such as high intensity frequency ultrasound (HIFU) in order to treat only cancerous tissue while preserving erectile function and urinary continence.
Dr. Javier-DesLoges has a background in health services research and translational research with a particular interest in genetic markers, patient-centered outcomes, health policy and health disparities.
As an assistant professor of urology at UC San Diego School of Medicine, he is involved in training medical students, residents and fellows. His research has been published in a variety of books and journals, including the Cancer, Journal of Urology, Urology, JAMA, and Urologic Oncology. He currently serves on the editorial board for the Journal of Urology. He is also a co-investigator on clinical trials and holds a certificate in clinical trial design and development.
Dr. Javier-DesLoges completed a fellowship in urologic oncology at UC San Diego School of Medicine and his residency in urology at Yale University. He obtained his medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. He also holds a master's degree from New York Medical College and completed his bachelor's degree in biology from Boston College.
He has served on numerous national committees in the American Medical Association, American Urological Association and the Urology Care Foundation.
Outside of work, he spends time with his wife who is an emergency medicine physician, their two daughters, and their dog. He speaks Spanish fluently.
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- UC San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA
- New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY
Date Joined Staff
Conditions and Treatments
- Prostate Cancer
- Bladder Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Ureteral Cancer
- Genitourinary Cancers
- Percutaneous Prostate Cryoablation
- Robotic Surgery
- Single Port or Incision Robotic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- High Intensity Frequency Ultrasound (HIFU)
- Minimally Invasive Urologic Surgery (Endourology)
- Transperineal Prostate Biopsy
- Urinary Diversion
- Robotic and Open Partial Nephrectomy (Nephron-Sparing Surgery)
- Irreversible Electroporation of the Prostate (Nanoknife)
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.