For more information on our recent data notice, please click here
- Radiation Oncology
- CancerHead & Neck Cancers
New Patient Registration:
Existing Patients:MyUCSDChart Login
About Christopher Straka, MD
Christopher Straka, MD, is a board-certified radiation oncologist who uses therapeutic radiation to treat all types of cancers, including prostate cancer, head and neck cancers, lymphoma and metastatic disease.
He has extensive experience with many advanced techniques to improve survivorship and quality of life, including:
- Linac-based stereotactic radiosurgery for intracranial tumors
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for lung, spine, liver and oligometastatic soft tissue and bone tumors
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) and volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) with image guidance
- 3D-conformal radiotherapy
- Proton therapy including intensity modulated proton therapy (IMPT) with pencil beam scanning
- Motion management including 4D-CT and breath-holding techniques
- Electron therapy for skin malignancies
- HDR intracavitary brachytherapy for endometrial and cervical cancer
Dr. Straka enjoys working with patients to improve their experience during their cancer journey. He takes extra time to listen to his patients' goals, whether that be a cure, symptom management or otherwise.
As an assistant professor in the Department of Radiation Medicine and Applied Sciences at UC San Diego School of Medicine, Dr. Straka conducts original, peer-reviewed research to improve patient care.
He has a special focus on using mobile and wearable devices to improve patient engagement and experience. He has developed a downloadable mobile app, called RadCare, to provide education and guidance to prostate cancer patients during radiation treatment.
Dr. Straka completed residency training in radiation oncology at UC San Diego School of Medicine, where he served as chief resident. He earned his medical degree from University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.
Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his wife and two children. He and his family enjoy the beach, travel, surfing, snowboarding, hiking and camping.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Radiation Oncology and Cancer Services.
- University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX
- UC San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA
Date Joined Staff
Conditions and Treatments
- Brain Tumors
- Central Nervous System Cancer
- Gastrointestinal Cancer
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Liver Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Proton Therapy
- Skin Cancer
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
Cancer Care as Unique as YouChoose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.