COVID-19 updates, including vaccine information, for our patients and visitors, Learn More
- GastroenterologyGeneral Gastroenterology, GI Cancer
About Samir Gupta, MD
Samir Gupta, MD, is a board-certified gastroenterologist with expertise in general gastroenterology and in particular, colorectal cancer screening and prevention. He has specific expertise in the evaluation and management of individuals with a family history of colorectal cancer, including individuals with family cancer syndromes such as Lynch syndrome and familial adenomatous polyposis.
Dr. Gupta also has expertise in the evaluation and management of patients with complex polyps, such as large polyps (adenomas), sessile serrated adenomas, and the hyperplastic polyposis syndrome.
His areas of clinical research include colorectal cancer screening and prevention. Specific work has included randomized controlled trials of strategies to increase screening rates for colorectal cancer, and observational studies seeking to identify novel methods for risk stratification of patients with polyps.
Prior to joining UC San Diego Health, Dr. Gupta served was on faculty at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Parkland Health and Hospital System in Dallas. Areas of clinical and research interest include:
- Lynch syndrome / hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (HNPCC)
- Familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP)
- Hyperplastic polyposis syndrome
- Colorectal cancer
- Colorectal polyps
- Sessile serrated adenoma
- Villous adenoma, tubulovillous adenoma
- Adenoma with high grade dysplasia
- Large polyps, large adenomas
- Colorectal cancer screening
- Fecal immunochemical tests (FIT)
- Virtual colonoscopy (CT colonography)
- Blood tests for colorectal cancer screening
Dr. Gupta earned his medical degree from the University of Michigan. He completed his internal medicine residency at the University of California, San Francisco, followed by fellowships in gastroenterology at University of Pennsylvania and the University of California San Francisco. Dr. Gupta also holds a masters of science in clinical science from UT Southwestern Medical Center.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Gastroenterology.
- University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Conditions and Treatments
- Colon Cancer
- Adenoma Polyp Detection
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)