About Sandip P. Patel, MD
Sandip Patel, MD, is a board-certified medical oncologist who specializes in cancer immunotherapy and early phase clinical trials involving immunotherapy across all types of cancer. He is focused on developing personalized therapies that stimulate a patient's immune system to attack their specific tumor. He is part of UC San Diego Health's Precision Immunotherapy Clinic, which offers the most promising investigational immunotherapy treatments for many types of cancer.
As a professor in the Department of Medicine, Dr. Patel instructs medical students, residents and fellows. His research focuses on developing biomarkers for personalized immunotherapy to better determine which combination of therapies works best for each individual.
Dr. Patel completed a fellowship in medical oncology and hematology at Duke University School of Medicine, Duke Medical Center, and a residency in internal medicine at UC Los Angeles School of Medicine, UCLA Medical Center. He earned his medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine, while performing research at MD Anderson Cancer Center. He is board certified in internal medicine, medical oncology, and hematology.
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Duke University, School of Medicine, Durham, NC
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
Conditions and Treatments
- Cancer Immunotherapy
- Lung Cancer
- Experimental Therapeutics / Phase I Clinical Trials
- Thymoma/Thymic Carcinoma
- Rare Tumors
- Solid Tumors
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- In episode 8, we heard from rock star Rikki Rockett about his experience with cancer and immunotherapy. Here, we go deeper on this leading-edge approach, which fights cancer by boosting a patient’s own immune system. Sandip Patel, MD, the Moores Cancer Center oncologist who runs Rikki’s clinical trial, shares why he’s excited about immunotherapy and the challenges to providing these therapies to more patients.
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.