- Pulmonology (Lung)Critical Care, Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy (PTE), Pulmonary Vascular Disease
About Timothy Fernandes, MD, MPH
Timothy Fernandes, MD, MPH, is a board-certified pulmonologist who focuses on pulmonary vascular disease. He is the director of comprehensive pulmonary embolism care at the UC San Diego Health. He has a special interest in caring for patients who have venous thromboembolism (including acute pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis), pulmonary arterial hypertension, and chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension.
Dr. Fernandes is active in clinical research investigating the progression of acute pulmonary embolism to chronic thromboembolic disease (CTEPH), and patient outcomes following pulmonary endarterectomy (PTE) surgery. He has been awarded the CHEST Foundation Clinical Research Grant in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension, and the Thrombosis and Hemostasis Summit of North America Travel Award. He was named the Educator of the Year for the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and was awarded the Chief Resident Teaching Award from the UC San Diego School of Medicine Internal Medicine Residency Program.
Dr. Fernandes completed his fellowship training at UC San Diego School of Medicine and his residency at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, where he served as chief medical resident from 2009-2010. He earned his medical degree at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. Dr. Fernandes is board certified in critical care medicine and pulmonary disease and is a fellow of the College of Chest Physicians.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Pulmonary Vascular Medicine.
- University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH
- UC San Diego, School of Medicine, San Diego, CA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease
- Critical Care Medicine
Conditions and Treatments
- Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension (PAH)
- Thromboembolic Disease
- Critical Care
- Pulmonary Clinical Trials
- Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension (CTEPH)
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Thromboendarterectomy (PTE)
- Pulmonary Vascular Disease