Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates for UC San Diego Health patients and visitors. Learn More.
- Obstetrics & GynecologyGeneral Gynecology
New Patient Registration:
About Julia Cormano, MD, FACOG
Julia Cormano, MD, is a board-certified obstetrician/gynecologist (OB/GYN) who provides expert prenatal care, labor and delivery care, and postpartum care, as well as emergency gynecological care. She is part of the hospitalist team that cares for patients at UC San Diego Health's Hillcrest and Jacobs Medical Center locations.
Dr. Cormano believes in building strong relationships with her patients and in listening to their needs. She often works with patients who are interested in a trial of labor for a vaginal birth after prior cesarean section (VBAC) and offers external cephalic version (ECV). She works collaboratively with an outstanding midwife team to provide minimal intervention and evidence-based obstetrics care on labor and delivery.
As an assistant professor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Dr. Cormano instructs medical students and residents at UC San Diego School of Medicine. She is the third year UC San Diego Medical Student Clerkship Director for the OB/GYN rotation. She also works closely with UCSD TV on the production of the Motherhood Channel, which produces helpful, evidence-based videos for expectant mothers.
Prior to joining UC San Diego Health, Dr. Cormano served as the associate clerkship director of the third year medical student OB/GYN rotation at Rush Medical College in Chicago. She also worked with the National Health Service Corps at Alivio Medical Center, where she provided culturally sensitive obstetrics and gynecologic care to medically underserved communities.
Dr. Cormano completed her residency training in obstetrics and gynecology at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, serving as administrative chief resident in her fourth year. She earned her medical degree from University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine.
Dr. Cormano is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (FACOG). In 2015, Dr. Cormano received the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics Excellence in Teaching Award.
Outside of work, Dr. Cormano enjoys spending time with her husband and two young children. She stays active through running and has completed four marathons.
- University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- UC Los Angeles, School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Conditions and Treatments
- Low-Risk Pregnancies
- High-Risk Pregnancies
- External Cephalic Version (ECV)
- Obstetrics Care
- Prenatal Care
- Women's Health
- Gynecological Care
- Postpartum Care
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
Meet Your OB/GYN: Julia Cormano, MDMore videos
- Dr. Julia Cormano discusses how vaginal birth after Cesarean (VBAC) may be an option for women who've had a prior Cesarean delivery.
- There are many kinds of providers who can care for you and your baby during pregnancy. Hear from UC San Diego Health's obstetricians, certified nurse midwives, family medicine physicians, and perinatologists who will work with you from conception through delivery.