Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates for UC San Diego Health patients and visitors. Learn More.
About Carla Marienfeld, MD
Carla Marienfeld, MD, is a board-certified addiction psychiatrist who specializes in treating individuals with substance use disorders and co-occurring mental health conditions, such as anxiety and depression. She supports recovery in a harm-reduction approach that uses therapy, motivational interviewing, and medication-assisted treatment.
Dr. Marienfeld provides medical oversight for UC San Diego Health's Intensive Outpatient Program, where people with a substance use disorder and another mental health condition, such as ADHD, PTSD, or a mood or anxiety disorder receive comprehensive care in an outpatient setting.
An associate professor in the Department of Psychiatry, her research looks at health outcomes for individuals with substance use disorders and involves monitoring implementation of evidence based practices in treatment of substance use disorders. She has been highly involved in educating colleagues and trainees about addiction psychiatry and effective interventions, including buprenorphine treatment and motivational interviewing.
Prior to joining UC San Diego Health in 2016, she was an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine.
Dr. Marienfeld completed a fellowship in addiction psychiatry and a residency in psychiatry at Yale University School of Medicine. During her residency, she was chief resident of psychiatry and founded (and later led) the Yale Global Mental Health Program. She earned a medical degree, with Alpha Omega Alpha medical honors, from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. Dr. Marienfeld is board-certified in psychiatry and addiction psychiatry.
She is a member of many professional organizations, including the American Society of Addiction Medicine, the American Association of Addiction Psychiatry, and the American Psychiatric Association.
- Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Yale University, School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
Date Joined Staff
- Addiction Psychiatry
Conditions and Treatments
- Co-Occurring Disorders
- Substance Use Disorders
- Addiction Treatment
- Motivational Interviewing
- Hardly a day goes by that we don’t hear about the U.S.’s opioid addiction epidemic in the news. But chronic pain is an epidemic, too, and sometimes opioids are the best treatment. We talk to experts working on the front lines of both sides — palliative care pharmacist Rabia Atayee, PharmD, on the difficulties of managing chronic pain, and psychiatrist Carla Marienfeld, MD, on treating opioid addiction.