COVID-19 updates, including vaccine information, for our patients and visitors, Learn More
About Alan J. Hsu, MD
Alan John Hsu, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist who specializes in treating cancer patients struggling with mood and anxiety issues brought on by cancer. He also sees individuals with cancer who have pre-existing mental health challenges.
Dr. Hsu has subspecialty training in consultation-liaison psychiatry, a subspecialty of psychiatry that focuses on the psychiatric treatment of patients with complex medical conditions, including cancer. His research interest is in better understanding cancer-related distress.
Before joining UC San Diego Health, he was a staff psychiatrist at VA San Diego Healthcare System's Mission Valley outpatient clinic. He continues to see patients at the VA San Diego Healthcare System in La Jolla.
Dr. Hsu completed fellowship training in psycho-oncology and consultation-liaison psychiatry at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. He completed residency training in psychiatry at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he served as chief resident. He earned his medical degree at the University of Buffalo's Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Science. Dr. Hsu is board certified in psychiatry and consultation-liaison psychiatry.
He is a fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and a member of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry.
In his free time, Dr. Hsu enjoys cycling, cooking and chess.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Cancer Patient & Family Support Services.
- SUNY Buffalo School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Buffalo, NY
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
Conditions and Treatments
- Mental Health in Cancer Patients
- Adjustment to Cancer
- Mental Health in Complex Medically Ill Patients
- Mood Disorders
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.