About Iain J. MacEwan, MD
Iain MacEwan, MD, is a board-certified radiation oncologist who specializes in treating cancers in children. As a radiation oncologist, Dr. MacEwan has expertise in the most advanced photon and proton technologies. He treats cancer using many modalities, including conformal radiation therapy (CRT), intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT), stereotactic radiation surgery (SRS), and pencil beam proton therapy (PBT) / intensity-modulated proton therapy (IMPT).
As an assistant professor in the Department of Radiation Medicine and Applied Sciences at UC San Diego School of Medicine, Dr. MacEwan participates in the latest clinical trials while instructing medical students and residents. His research has focused on the use of proton therapy in pediatric malignancies, including medulloblastoma and ependymoma. He also has completed research in health disparities and cancer outcomes.
His research has appeared in journals such as Advances in Radiation Oncology, Oral Oncology, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, PloS One, and the Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.
Dr. MacEwan completed a residency in radiation oncology at Loma Linda University School of Medicine. He earned his medical degree at UC San Diego School of Medicine. He is board certified in radiation oncology.
He is an active member of professional associations such as the American College of Radiology and the American Society for Radiation Oncology.
Outside of work Dr. MacEwan enjoys spending time with his wife and young daughter. He is an avid surfer and also enjoys golf, tennis, and hiking in his hometown of Palm Springs, Calif.
- UC San Diego, School of Medicine, San Diego, CA
- Loma Linda University, School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Radiology
- Radiation Oncology
Conditions and Treatments
- Conformal Radiation Therapy (CRT)
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Pediatric Cancer
- Pencil Beam Proton Therapy
- Intensity-Modulated Proton Therapy (IMPT)
- Proton Therapy
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.