Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates for UC San Diego Health patients and visitors. Learn More.
- RadiologyInterventional Radiology
New Patient Registration:
About Christopher J. Friend, MD
Christopher Friend, MD, MBA, is a board-certified interventional radiologist who specializes in image-guided, minimally invasive surgeries to treat cancer as well as benign disorders.
He also specializes in percutaneous treatment of musculoskeletal tumors and vertebral augmentation (vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty). He is interested in men's health and treats benign prostatic hyperplasia using prostate artery embolization.
As an associate professor in the Department of Radiology at UC San Diego School of Medicine, he instructs medical students, residents, and fellows. He serves as chair of the Clinical Competency Committee for the UCSD Interventional Radiology residency.
Dr. Friend completed fellowship training in interventional radiology at Emory University School of Medicine and in musculoskeletal imaging at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He completed residency training in diagnostic radiology at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. He earned his medical degree from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and also holds a master's degree in business administration from the University of Pittsburgh Joseph Katz School of Business.
He is a member of the Society of Interventional Radiology as well as the Cardiovascular Interventional Radiological Society of Europe.
Outside of work, he enjoys mountain biking, yoga, travel, economics, and photography.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Radiology.
- University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- Emory University, School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA
- University of Arizona, College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ
- Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA
- University of Pittsburgh Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business, Pittsburgh PA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Radiology
- Interventional Radiology and Diagnostic Radiology
Conditions and Treatments
- Image-Guided Procedures
- Venous Disease
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization
- Minimally Invasive Approach
- Bone Tumors