About Amirali Salmasi, MD
Amirali Salmasi, MD, is a urologist with expertise in the management of genitourinary cancers in men and women, including bladder, prostate, kidney, ureteral, testicular, adrenal, and penile cancers. He provides a personalized, multidisciplinary approach to deliver the best possible treatment options (active surveillance, focal therapy, surgery, radiation, systemic treatments, or clinical trials) for his patients.
Dr. Salmasi performs advanced minimally invasive and complex open surgeries, such as robotic-assisted laparoscopic cystectomy, nerve-sparing prostatectomy, retro-peritoneal lymph node dissection, adrenalectomy, and partial nephrectomy.
He is also interested in translational research and clinical trials in urologic oncology, and his hope is to bridge the gap between the bench and clinical research. He has published over 50 articles in peer-reviewed journals.
Dr. Salmasi completed a urologic oncology fellowship at University of California, Los Angeles and a urology residency at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. As a first step towards a career in academic medicine and research, he also did a postdoctoral fellowship at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He earned his medical degree from Tehran University of Medical Sciences and holds a master's degree in clinical research (MSCR) from UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute.
He is a member of the American Urological Association, the Society for Urologic Oncology and the American Society of Clinical Oncology.
In his spare time, Dr. Salmasi enjoys tennis, rock climbing and relaxing with yoga. He also loves cooking or dining out with his wife, and walking around the neighborhood with their rambunctious puppy.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Urology.
- Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- UCLA Clinical and Translational Science Institute, Los Angeles, CA
- Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Urology
Conditions and Treatments
- Bladder Cancer
- Bladder Mass
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
- Elevated Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) Level
- Renal Cancer
- Renal Mass
- Testicular Cancer
- Testicular Mass
- Ureteral Cancer
- Urethral Cancer
- Adrenal Lesion
- Adrenal Cancer
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer
Meet Amirali Salmasi, MD: UrologistMore videos
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.