COVID-19 updates, including vaccine information, for our patients and visitors, Learn More
About Frank E. Chiarappa, MD
Frank Chiarappa, MD, is an orthopedic oncologist who treats children and adults with cancerous and non-cancerous musculoskeletal tumors. This includes soft tissue sarcoma and primary bone tumors such as osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Ewing's sarcoma and giant cell tumors. He also treats patients with cancer that has spread to the bone from other primary sites such as the breast, lung, kidney or blood. He has special expertise in performing limb-sparing surgeries for bone and soft sarcomas.
Dr. Chiarappa completed a fellowship in musculoskeletal oncology at the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine. He completed residency training in orthopedic surgery at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. He earned his medical degree from University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and holds a master's degree from The University of Akron.
He was selected to participate in the American Orthopaedic Association's Emerging Leaders development program. Dr. Chiarappa is also a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, the Musculoskeletal Tumor Society, the Connective Tissue Oncology Society, the American College of Surgeons, and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Outside of work, he enjoys scuba diving and fly fishing.
UC San Diego Health Links
For more information, see Orthopedic Oncology.
- University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ
- University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- The University of Akron, Akron, OH
Date Joined Staff
Conditions and Treatments
- Ewing's Sarcoma
- Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma
- Synovial Sarcoma
- Giant Cell Tumor
- Malignant Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor (MPNST)
- Limb Salvage
- Limb-Sparing Surgery
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.