COVID-19 updates, including vaccine information, for our patients and visitors, Learn More
About Joshua A. Boys, MD
Joshua Boys, MD, is a cardiothoracic surgeon who treats people with cancer of the lung and esophagus, chest wall tumors and mediastinal tumors. He performs lung transplantations and also treats gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and achalasia (i.e. an esophagus disorder that makes it difficult for food to pass into the stomach).
Dr. Boys's work has been published in several peer-reviewed journals including American Journal of Transplantation and Annals of Surgery. He has also authored several book chapters.
Dr. Boys completed fellowship training in cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He did his general surgery residency at Los Angeles County + USC Medical Center, where he was chief resident and received the USC Outstanding Medical Student Teaching Award. Dr. Boys earned his medical degree at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. He is board certified in surgery.
He is a member of the Society of Thoracic Surgery, the American College of Surgeons, the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, and the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
In his free time, Dr. Boys enjoys spending time with his family, cooking, hiking and playing soccer.
- Michigan State University, College of Human Medicine, East Lansing, MI
- University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA
- University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Surgery
Conditions and Treatments
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Esophageal Disorder (Achalasia)
- Lung Cancer
- Esophageal Cancer
- Mediastinal Tumors
- Chest Wall Tumors
- Lung Transplantation
San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Choose UC San Diego Health for truly personalized cancer care at San Diego's only Comprehensive Cancer Center.