Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates for UC San Diego Health patients and visitors. Learn More.
- Infectious Disease Medicine
About Laura Bamford, MD
Laura Bamford, MD, is a board-certified infectious disease specialist who specializes in treating people living with HIV and at high risk of contracting HIV. Her patients may also have an opioid use disorder or hepatitis C.
Dr. Bamford is the medical director at the Owen Clinic, one of the nation's outstanding HIV primary care clinics.
Prior to joining UC San Diego Health in 2020, she was medical director of Clinica Bienestar (Well Being Services), an HIV clinic in Philadelphia with Spanish-speaking physicians and staff.
An associate professor of medicine at UC San Diego School of Medicine, Dr. Bamford conducts original peer-reviewed research related to infectious disease. Her research interests include HIV prevention in people who inject drugs.
Dr. Bamford completed fellowship training in infectious disease at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. She completed residency training in internal medicine at Columbia University Medical Center in New York and earned her medical degree from Jefferson Medical College.
Outside of work, she enjoys listening to music, biking, running, skiing and traveling.
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA
Date Joined Staff
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Conditions and Treatments
- General Infectious Diseases
- Hepatitis C Infection
- HIV and Hepatitis C Co-Infection
- HIV Prevention